Nanny, Child Care & Au Pair Visas for Australian Immigration

Visa info for child care workers, nannies, babysitters and au pairs. Can nannies get a 457?

Visa information for babysitters, nannies, au pairs and child care workers

If you’re living in Australia as a foreigner and working as a nanny, babysitter, au pair, child care worker or child care manager (for example, on a working holiday visa), you may ask what visa options you have and can you secure an employment visa to extend your stay. Like any country, however, Australia has its own set of regulations that will help you determine if you’ll be able continue living and working here.

Can I continue working in Australia if I’m a babysitter or nanny?

Unfortunately, there are no employment visas available if you wish to extend your stay. Instead, the best visa advice for nannies we can provide is to gain the appropriate tertiary qualifications that will allow you to work in Australia, such as a Master’s Degree in Education (birth to 5 years).

Although there are plenty of nanny jobs in Australia – for example at nanny agency, Lullaby Nanny Share – if you wish to continue living and working here, make sure you acquire the correct qualifications.

Can an Au Pair extend their 1 year working holiday visa?

For most people on a 1 year working holiday visa, they are only allowed to work with the same employer for 6 months. However, in the case of au pairs, this rule is relaxed as to not detriment the children in their care.

If you’ve lived with the same family for 6 months, and you can provide a letter of support from the family stating the duration of your employment, you can now apply for an extension for a further 6 months (a total of 12 months’ employment).

To comply with Australian regulations, you must live with the family of the children you’re caring for and your primary responsibility is to care after the family’s children (rather than doing domestic work, such as cleaning or cooking). Also, the youngest child being cared for should be no older than 12 years old (primary school age or younger). This means you can work a full year with the same family, as long as you provide the correct documentation.

Can I obtain an employment visa if I’m an early childhood teacher?

If you’re an early childhood teacher, you are eligible for a 457 visa, which is a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa. A 457 visa allows skilled workers to be sponsored by an approved business to work in Australia in their nominated occupation for up to four years.

If you wish to be employed as an early childhood teacher, you must also possess a Bachelor’s Degree at least in Early Childhood Education.

If you are a room leader, we may be able to apply for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa if you have an employer in a regional area.  

I’m a childhood centre manager. Can I obtain an employment visa in Australia?

If you’re a childhood centre manager, you are eligible to be sponsored with a 457 visa. However, you must possess a Bachelor Degree or a minimum of 5 years’ centre management.

If you’re an early childhood teacher or childhood centre manager, there are plenty of opportunities in Australia, for example at Brightest Start Early Learning Centre, which has several locations throughout Sydney. In fact, in the last financial year, 1000 visas for childcare centre managers were awarded under Australia’s skilled visa program, while 1800 early childhood teacher visas were also awarded.

How will the recent 457 visa changes affect childhood teachers or childhood centre managers?

There is a lot of confusion over the 457 visa, which has existed in Australia since 1996. The 457 visa in the process of being replaced by the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa, which comes into full effect in March 2018. One of the main differences between the 457 visa and the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa is the number of professions on the skills list has now been decreased.

The good news is both early childhood teachers and childhood centre managers remain on the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa skilled occupation list, so you will be unaffected by these changes.

I’d like to continue to live and work in Australia. What next?

Being an au pair, early childhood teacher or child care centre manager in Australia is one of the most rewarding professional experiences.  We have extensive experience providing reputable advice for international travellers, especially those who wish to continue living in Australia, so if you have any questions about your rights or applicable visas to you, please contact us today.

Last updated on 15th July 2017. The information provided here is valid at the time of writing and only applies to nannies, babysitters, au pairs, child care workers or child care managers. Australian immigration rules are always subject to change, so for specific or updated information, please contact us directly. Addition market research and copywriting by BLD Communication.