Nurse Visas

Immigration Experts Australia can advise nurses on the various nurse visa options including 457s and skilled migration

Nurse visas

If you’re a nurse and you’re interested in immigrating to Australia, or extending your stay, you may be eligible for any number of visa types.

Australia is a wonderful place to work with a world-class health care system. Nurses are in high demand in Australia, due in part to an aging population, and now is an excellent time to take advantage of the exciting career and lifestyle opportunities available.

Immigration Experts Australia is an immigration agency which is very experienced in helping foreign workers, including nurses, gain their Australian visa.

I’m a nurse, what are the qualifying conditions to get an Australian visa?

To be eligible for a visa, as a nurse, you must be either be; a registered nurse or an enrolled nurse. You must also be registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), and have your skills assessed by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC).  Here’s a list of the qualifying criteria for both registered nurses and enrolled nurses;

Registered nurses

  • Current AHPRA registration
  • Bachelor Degree
  • IELTS Academic 7 or OET B
  • Skills assessment from ANMAC
  • If applying for permanent residency, you must be under 45 at the time of application

Enrolled nurses 

  • Completion of Diploma in Nursing
  • Current AHPRA registration as an enrolled nurse
  • IELTS Academic 7 or OET B

In Australia, it is required by law that all practising health practitioners are registered with AHPRA. If you don’t have a current registration with AHPRA, or unsure about how to get one, please contact us for assistance.

What visa options are available to nurses?

There are a range of visa subclasses for nurses, each with differing requirements, so it’s important to seek the advice of a professional and qualified migration agent.

Registered nurses are eligible to apply for any of the following visa subclasses;

457 – the most common type of employer sponsored working visa

186 – A permanent visa for skilled foreign workers

187 – Regional Sponsored for skilled foreign workers

489 – Skilled provisional visa that’s state sponsored for regional areas

189 – Independent skilled visa

190 – State sponsored skilled visa

It’s important to note that each subclass of visa has different qualifying criteria which may include specific specialities. Visas subclasses 186, 187 and 457 are for all nurse specialities, while 489, 189 and 190 deals with specific specialities. We recommend you check your specialisation against DIBP current list to see which visas you may be eligible for. These lists change from time to time, so we recommend checking regularly.

Enrolled nurses are only eligible for subclass visas 187 which covers all nursing specialities, and 190 NSW.

We are immigration agents and have the experience, knowledge and expertise to advise you on your migrations needs. Whether you want to live and work in Australia for a few years, or whether you want to become permanent Australian resident or citizen, we can advise on the best options for you. Contact our friendly team today – we’re always happy to answer your questions.

The information provided here is valid at the time of writing and only applies to Registered and Enrolled nurses. Australian immigration rules are always subject to change, so for specific or updated information, please contact today.